Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This rustic and simple vegetable tart is a Great Cooks Featured Recipe.
- 3 baking potatoes, peeled
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 3 zucchini, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 5 -6 rosemary sprigs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- PREHEAT oven to 400°F Thinly slice potatoes, tomato, onion and zucchini.
- ARRANGE vegetables in a shallow baking dish, alternating each.
- PUT the garlic in the center of the dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and pour the oil over the vegetables.
- ARRANGE the rosemary sprigs on top of the vegetables and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Pour off excess oil and serve immediately.
This was just wonderful! We followed the advice of another reviewer and squeezed the fresh garlic onto the vegetables after baking. Maybe it was the huge veggies we bought, but we had enough to fill a 9 x 12 and an 8 x 8 baking dish. We did run short though on red onion for the 8 x8 dish. We ate it for leftovers throughout the week and this reheated very well in the microwave. A great and healthy dish! Thanks for sharing.
From reading the recipe, which otherwise had really clear instructions, I wasn’t sure what I was to do with the garlic after the dish came out of the oven, so I retrieved the head of garlic about 10 minutes before the dish was fully cooked, cooled it then squeezed the garlic out of the skins and scattered it on top of the vegetables just before serving. I also lightly greased the casserole dish before adding the layered vegetables. A really tasty vegetable side dish which would make a great accompaniment to most other dishes: meat, fish or vegetarian. The rosemary flavour and the garlic blended beautifully with the vegetables and smelt wonderful while the dish was cooking, and the vegetables tasted just so delicious. Everyone I served this to just loved it. There were leftovers, as I was only serving three, and these reheated well in a low oven, with the dish loosely covered with foil.