Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
My mother always made this at Thanksgiving. It continues to be a favorite with my family. The recipe is per 5 lbs. of turkey.
- 4 cups bread cubes
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely cut onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely cut celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- A day or so before, break bread into small cubes. (1/2 loaf of bread will yield 4 cups of cubes.) Leave bread uncovered to allow it to dry out.
- Combine all ingredients except bread cubes in frying pan. Saute slowly until vegetables are slightly transparent.
- Stir bread cubes and butter mixture together until cubes are coated and ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Stuff into both ends of turkey and skewer openings closed.