Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Adapted from "Make It Simple: The Best of Cooking Light"
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 7/8 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 links frozen meatless Italian sausage, thawed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet. Add onion, carrots, and garlic. Cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place onion mixture in crock pot. Add beans, vegetable broth, thyme, salt, pepper, tomatoes, and bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan, and butter in small bowl. Toss with a fork until moist.
- Stir breadcrumb mixture and sausage into bean mixture. Sprinkle with parsley.
- For Meatless Italian Sausage use a Vegetarian or Vegan sub such as Boca.