Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe has been in my files for years, & I fall back on it everytime I want to get back to a basic pork roast! I usually serve it with a homemade apple sauce or a cranberry sauce, but the last time around I made Zaar chef JanetC-KY's Spiced Apple and Raisin Sauce for a nice-tasting raisin sauce!
- 4 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 lbs boneless pork loin roast
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small container thoroughly mix thyme, mustard, celery seed & garlic powder. [NOTE: I usually just rub the thyme between my thumb & index finger to crush some of the leaves.].
- Rinse the roast & pat it dry with paper towels.
- Rub herb mixture over the roast [OR roll the roast in it].
- Place fat side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast, uncovered about 3 1/4 hours.
- About 30 minutes before end of roasting time, insert meat thermometer with tip in center of largest muscle of roast.
- Roast should be ready to remove from oven when internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Cover with tent of foil, then let stand 10-15 minutes before carving, during which time internal temperature SHOULD reach 170 degrees F.
Awesome recipe. I think this will now be my go to recipe for a pork roast. I used a smaller roast maybe 2 pounds or a bit larger but kept the seasonings at the written amount because that's how I roll! :) Enjoyed by all and leftovers gone the next day.
Thank you Syd for another wonderful recipe. This was an awesome pork roast. Quick and easy to make resulting in a moist, tender, juicy, pork. The rub was great, so much depth of flavor, while not being overwhelming. We enjoyed the pork served with mashed potatoes, peas and homemade apple sauce. It was also enjoyed the next day in sandwiches. Thank you so much for sharing this lovely recipe.
Very good!! I followed your recipe exactlly and its going into my Favorites cookbook.