This recipe has been in my files for years, & I fall back on it everytime I want to get back to a basic pork roast! I usually serve it with a homemade apple sauce or a cranberry sauce, but the last time around I made Zaar chef JanetC-KY's Spiced Apple and Raisin Sauce for a nice-tasting raisin sauce!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small container thoroughly mix thyme, mustard, celery seed & garlic powder. [NOTE: I usually just rub the thyme between my thumb & index finger to crush some of the leaves.].
- Rinse the roast & pat it dry with paper towels.
- Rub herb mixture over the roast [OR roll the roast in it].
- Place fat side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast, uncovered about 3 1/4 hours.
- About 30 minutes before end of roasting time, insert meat thermometer with tip in center of largest muscle of roast.
- Roast should be ready to remove from oven when internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Cover with tent of foil, then let stand 10-15 minutes before carving, during which time internal temperature SHOULD reach 170 degrees F.