Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
In 'Muffins' by Elizabeth Alston
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme (or dried sage)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in onion and cook 4-5 minutes, stirring several times until tender; remove from heat.
- Crumble thyme leaves into the saucepan and stir into the butter.
- Heat oven to 400°; grease muffin cups, or use foil or paper baking cups.
- Thoroughly mix flour, oat bran, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Beat egg in a small bowl; whisk in milk.
- Add onion and herb mixture; pour over dry ingredients.
- Mix gently with a rubber spatula, just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Scoop batter into muffin cups.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until tinged with brown and no longer damp in the center.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack.