Made these for the first time yesterday. Very easy to make and something different to sweet biscuits. Make sure you're generous with the sprinkled salt; I was a little stingy and found they tasted a lot better when I put some more on. They can be stored in an air-tight container for up to one week.
- Stir together the flour, salt, lemon zest and thyme.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips to form a breadcrumb-like consistency.
- Using a wooden spoon, beat in the egg and yolks (reserve a small amount of beaten egg for brushing).
- Knead a couple of times then wrap and place in the fridge for half an hour.
- Unwrap and roll out until half an inch thick. Cut into whatever shape you wish - the traditional is strips.
- Use a fork to brick the tops of the biscuits, then brush with the remaining egg and sprinkle generously with the sea salt.
- Place in a pre-heated oven at 350F until golden (about 20 minutes). Turn out onto a rack to cool. Serve at room temperature.