Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Made these for the first time yesterday. Very easy to make and something different to sweet biscuits. Make sure you're generous with the sprinkled salt; I was a little stingy and found they tasted a lot better when I put some more on. They can be stored in an air-tight container for up to one week.
- Stir together the flour, salt, lemon zest and thyme.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips to form a breadcrumb-like consistency.
- Using a wooden spoon, beat in the egg and yolks (reserve a small amount of beaten egg for brushing).
- Knead a couple of times then wrap and place in the fridge for half an hour.
- Unwrap and roll out until half an inch thick. Cut into whatever shape you wish - the traditional is strips.
- Use a fork to brick the tops of the biscuits, then brush with the remaining egg and sprinkle generously with the sea salt.
- Place in a pre-heated oven at 350F until golden (about 20 minutes). Turn out onto a rack to cool. Serve at room temperature.