Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A tasti way to roast turkey. Great for anytime and holidays. This is also great on chicken and other poultry.
- 1 lemon
- 1 onion
- 1 whole turkey, any size (figure about 1 pound per person when purchasing)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (about)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme (or more)
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees.
- Remove giblets.
- Wash turkey and pat dry.
- Take the thyme leavs off the stems and place in bowl with olive oil. Add about 2 tsp salt and 2 tsp pepper. Mix to combine.
- Slice onon and lemon into pieces that will fit in the cavity of the bird.
- Put turkey on roasting pan. Take the thyme/oil mixture and rub inside the cavity of the bird. Place onion, lemon slices and half the garlic cloves into the cavity of the bird. Using your fingers, gently separate the skin from meat around the breast area, creating a pocket. Rub the thyme/oil mixture in the pocket you have created between the skin and the meat.
- Insert the remaining garlic cloves (can also add some onion pieces here as well) between the skin and meat. Truss the bird to make sure flavors stay in the bird.
- Put turkey in oven at 425F degrees for 10 minutes then reduce temperature to 350F and continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 180F degrees. Before serving remove items from cavity, skin and flavorings from under the skin.