Recipe by Tisme
Another find from the Donna Hay magazine. A great way to roast chicken.
Top Review by I'mPat
One of the moistest roast chickens I have ever had but unfortunately the flavours did not meld the best with us. I used 2 x 1.2K chickens, 3 lemons (3 x 1/4 in each cavity) and followed through as per recipe. I have a covered baking dish so did not use foil but as it is quite deep the chickens did not brown as well as expected but as said earlier very moist with meat falling off the bone. Thank you Tisme, made as a recipenap for Aussie/Kiwi Swap #19 August 2008.
- 1 5⁄8 kg whole chickens
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 2 heads garlic, halved
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- flaked sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 160c.
- Wash and pat the chicken dry.
- Place 1 lemon into the cavity if the chicken and tie the legs with kitchen string to secure them.
- Place the garlic, thyme and remaining lemon into a baking dish and place the chicken on top.
- Brush chicken with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Pour in the stock and wine and cover with foil, and roast chicken for 2 hours.
- Remove foil, increase the oven temperature to 200 c and roast chicken for a further 25 minutes or until golden and juices run clear from chicken when tested with a skewer.