Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I like to make tofu tacos every once in a while, just for variety (plus it's a lot cheaper than beef!). I usually make them a bit differently every time; this recipe is a combination of three other veg taco recipes, and I think it came out rather well. If you have a food processor, you can whip this up very quickly with no advance preparation. But if you do have time, it's a good idea to press the tofu beforehand.
- 4 teaspoons taco seasoning (or to taste)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, finely chopped
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup warm water
- hot sauce, to taste
- 1 -3 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (275 g) package firm tofu, drained (and optionally pressed)
- 100 g red bell peppers, finely chopped (replace some with fresh jalapenos for more heat)
- 100 g cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 60 g monterey jack pepper cheese, in small pieces (can substitute any meltable cheese or veg cheese)
- 1⁄4 cup corn (canned, frozen, or fresh-cooked)
- 6 small flour tortillas, warmed
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 140 g iceberg lettuce, chopped (about 1/4 large head)
- salsa, to taste
- sour cream (optional)
- shredded cheese (optional)
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a small pan. Put over low heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Add onions and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Mash tofu with a fork, then add to frying pan. Stir-fry until tofu is much drier and starts to get a ground meat type of texture (about 10 minutes).
- Add chopped mushrooms and peppers, cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, corn, and sauce; cook until corn is heated and cheese is thoroughly melted.
- Place a portion of filling in each tortilla; add tomatoes, lettuce, salsa, and any additional toppings. Roll and serve.