Recipe by Missy Wombat
Thursday Island is found at the Northern tip of Queensland where Australia meets Papua New Guinea.
Top Review by Mike No 5
Great to taste and easy to make. Had this before when I lived in Darwin prepared by Thursday Island boys. They caught fish and put it straight in to the mix. This is a great recipe that everyone likes. Good for a party.
- 500 g white fish fillets, thinly sliced
- white vinegar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup of fresh limes or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 5 cloves garlic
- 5 tablespoons fresh ginger, freshly chopped
- fresh chili pepper, chopped (as many as you like!)
- 1 large onion, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the fish in a mixing bowl and pour about half a cup of vinegar over it.
- Gently knead the fish until it starts to"cook"; adding more vinegar if necessary.
- After a couple of minutes add half the lime of lemon juice and continue to kneadfor another minute.
- Add the salt and continue to knead until fish feels cooked (a minute or two should be enough).
- Add sugar, chilli, garlic, ginger, onion, and mix well.
- Add more juice and chilli if required.
- This dish can be eaten straight away but storing for several hours or overnight if you have the willpower (in the refrigerator) will enhance the flavours.