Recipe by CulinaryExplorer
This is a fantastic recipe handed down to me from my family for turning venison into a delicious sausage. It takes a bit of time, but is so worth it and it's a meat you will want to make often. A couple days of work and you will have meat for a good long time.
- 13 1⁄2 lbs venison
- 6 1⁄2 lbs beef fat
- 3 teaspoons garlic
- 4 teaspoons pepper
- 5⁄8 cup mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 cups tender quick
- 7 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons allspice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons basil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Accent seasoning
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 3⁄4 tablespoon clove
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons liquid smoke
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind the venison with the fat in a meat grinder.
- Mix all spices together and add to meat in a glass or plastic container.
- Mix water and liquid smoke into the meat and spices mixture. Mix well!
- Let stand for 35 hours in a cool location. (no warmer than 35-40 degrees).
- Package in meat packing paper in meal size portions (1-1.5 lb.) Roll meat into solid ball and pack very tightly, and freeze.
- Can keep up to 2 years if packed very tight!