Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My grandmother sent me this community book from Thunderbay, it's pretty old, the dishes are amazing and very easy to fix. This was one of my grandmothers favourite dishes. I remember having this when we were little kids visiting her.
- 4 lbs chicken pieces or 4 lbs chicken breasts
- 6 cups dry bread cubes (diced bread)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons sage
- 2 tablespoons oil, vegetable
- 4 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, cold
- Add salt, pepper, sage and 1/2 cup of flour together.
- Dip chicken in seasoned flour.
- Brown all over in hot oil.
- Dressing- Combine bread cubes, onion and melted margarine with 1/2 of the soup to bind.
- In a roasting pan place the bread dressing on bottom of pan.
- Add the chicken to the top of the dressing.
- Mix 2 tbsp of flour to 1/2 can of chicken soup and add 1 1/2 cups of water (*you want 2 cups of liquid for gravy).
- Pour over top of chicken and dressing.
- Cover tightly and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, carrotes, yellow beans and peas.
Every once in awhile I snoop around to see what new recipes reviewer Gerry has tried. If they get her okay, then I know they're good. This was no exception--first off, it came out of the oven looking picture-perfect. I could tell by my husband's face this was his kind of meal. He ate two helpings with clear instructions to SAVE leftovers. Getting any reaction out of this food-insensitive man is alone worth five stars! Thank you for sharing an easy to prepare meal that has that old-fashioned look and comfort food appeal.
Great oven fried chicken with all the fixings!!! I made this using 4 chicken breasts. After reading the reviews, I made the dressing different, by first cooking the onions and I added sliced celery, in the 1/2 cup butter. I then added salt, pepper and sage to the bread cubes and added them into the pan with the veggies and to lighten up the dressing, I used some chicken broth as the binder and baked it in a separate dish. I followed the directions for the chicken and gravy as written. My whole family really enjoyed this for a wonderful dinner!!! Thanks for sharing your recipe BK!!! Made for Went to the Market Tag Game.
WINNER! Not much I can add - Andi, FT and the previous five star reviewers about said it all! The chicken so wonderfully tender and moist, the chicken and dressing delicious. Easy to make and has that old fashioned taste only those grandma dishes seem to have. Seems like comfort food but company worthy fare for sure. Can't beat those old fashioned recipes! Thank you for sharing - another Baby Kato recipe to my Family Favourites.