Recipe by kitchengrrl
This recipe comes from a Highlights magazine Holiday cookbook published in the '80s. I like it best with a high-pectin jam that holds its shape during baking, though I will soon be trying it with Morello cherry jam, which should marry well with the almond-flavored cookie. I'm completely guessing about the yield of this recipe, since I haven't made them in quite a while.
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup flour
- high-pectin jelly, such as rosehip,plum,quince or currant
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut butter into bowl.
- Add vanilla and almond extract.
- Add cornstarch, sugar and flour.
- Mix together.
- Make tablespoon-sized balls of dough.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet, flatten each ball a bit and make a small dent in each with your thumb of forefinger.
- Put a 1/4- 1/2 t jelly in each dent.
- Bake at 325* for 15-20 mins or until golden brown at edges.
- Cool on rack, store in airtight container.