Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Deliciously rich mocha and coconut thumbprint cookies with a luscious chocolate filling. This recipe makes a wonderful thumbprint cookie. Buttery, crumbly, and rich with flavor they make a tasty treat anytime.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut, plus
- 3 tablespoons shredded coconut (to garnish)
- 3 tablespoons strong coffee
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 ounces baker's baking chocolate (1/2 bar)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces bar baker's baking chocolate
- In a bowl sift together flour,baking soda,salt,and powdered sugar, also add sugar and coconut.
- melt 1/2 of the butter and the 1/2 bar of bakers chocolate.
- once the butter and chocolate are melted and slightly cooled mix in the cocoa powder.
- In a bowl take 1/2 of the sifted flour mixture and add it to the melted butter and chocolate mixture.
- take the other 1/2 of your butter and add it to the remaining flour mixture as if you were mixing it into a pastry dough.
- to your chocolate mixture add the 3 tablespoons strong coffee and 1/2 a teaspoon extract.
- to your coconut mixture add 3 tablespoons cold water and the other 1/2 a teaspoon extract.
- line a baking sheet with foil and preheat oven to 350.
- take the coconut mixture and start shaping cookies by rolling about a tablespoon of the mixture into a ball , flatten the ball between your hands gently press a thumb into the center to create a hollow center for filling , dip in shredded coconut and place on baking sheet repeat until all the dough is done.
- repeat the same process with the mocha mixture omitting the step of dipping into shredded coconut at the end. bake in oven at 350 for 10 minutes.
- while cookies bake melt 1 bar bakers chocolate plus 3 tablespoons of butter in a double boiler.
- when cookies are done cool on a wire rack.
- once cooled take a tablespoon of the melted cooled chocolate mixture and fill the centers.
- place in fridge to cool thoroughly and allow chocolate center to set.
- Best served at room temperature.