Prep 30 mins
Cook 18 mins
This is a recipe I got from my mother. The cookies are pretty, and they taste good, too. I always make them when I'm in my annual holiday baking frenzy.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla.
- Beat in egg yolks.
- Sift together flour, soda and salt and add to sugar mixture.
- Form into balls the size of a walnut, dip in slightly-beaten egg whites, and roll in chopped nuts.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and press down slightly in the center with your thumb.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and press down in center again.
- Bake another 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, put a dab of jelly in the center of each cookie.
Tanks for posting this recipe. I could not find my mothers recipe to make these cookies and I knew someone would have had to post a good one here. Just like mother made. These are a must for holiday cookie trays.
These are wonderful buttery cookies with the sweetness added from the jelly, just love these cookies. My mother always made these for Christmas each year and I have carried on the tradition, except this last year I ran out of time, so this was great to make this time of the year. Our recipe is just slightly different, using 1/2 shortening and 1/2 butter and pecans instead of walnuts. I made this exactly as written, except did use pecans, don't care for walnuts. I used strawberry jelly for the filling. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for I Recommend Tag Game.
These cookies are wonderful! We made them last night and they turned out perfect! Will make these every christmas! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! Hope you like the photo of them!