Recipe by MaryMc
This is a recipe I got from my mother. The cookies are pretty, and they taste good, too. I always make them when I'm in my annual holiday baking frenzy.
Top Review by School Chef
Tanks for posting this recipe. I could not find my mothers recipe to make these cookies and I knew someone would have had to post a good one here. Just like mother made. These are a must for holiday cookie trays.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla.
- Beat in egg yolks.
- Sift together flour, soda and salt and add to sugar mixture.
- Form into balls the size of a walnut, dip in slightly-beaten egg whites, and roll in chopped nuts.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and press down slightly in the center with your thumb.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and press down in center again.
- Bake another 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, put a dab of jelly in the center of each cookie.