Recipe by Barb G.
These are delicious cookies. They have been a family favorite for years. My daughter used to to love help make them at christmas time. We always used chocolate or coffee icing instead of the jam or jelly. They are great with a cup of coffee.
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 3 -4 tablespoons red currant jelly (I like to use icing made with powdered sugar & butter, flavored with chocolate or instant coffee) or 3 -4 tablespoons raspberry jam (I like to use icing made with powdered sugar & butter, flavored with chocolate or instant coffee)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy.
- Separate eggs.
- Place whites in a small bowl, lightly beat; set aside.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla to butter mixture.
- Beat well.
- In another bowl, stir together flour and salt.
- Gradually add flour & salt to butter mixture, Blending thoroughly.
- With your hands, roll dough into balls about 1-inch diameter.
- Dip each ball in eggs whites, then roll in finely chopped walnuts to coat.
- Place on greased baking sheets,spacing 1 inch apart.
- With your thumb or the tip of a spoon (I use my thumb), make an indentation inthe center of each ball.
- Neatly fill each indentation with 1/4 teaspoon jelly or jam.
- (If using icing fill each cookie after baking.) Bake in a 375° oven for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let cool on baking sheets for about 1 minute, then transfer to rack and let cool completely.
- This is when I fill each with icing.