1/1 Photo of Thumbprint Cookies
Barb Gertz's Note:
These are delicious cookies. They have been a family favorite for years. My daughter used to to love help make them at christmas time. We always used chocolate or coffee icing instead of the jam or jelly. They are great with a cup of coffee.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 3 -4 tablespoons red currant jelly (I like to use icing made with powdered sugar & butter, flavored with chocolate or instant coffee) or 3 -4 tablespoons raspberry jam (I like to use icing made with powdered sugar & butter, flavored with chocolate or instant coffee)
- 1In large bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy.
- 2Separate eggs.
- 3Place whites in a small bowl, lightly beat; set aside.
- 4Add egg yolks and vanilla to butter mixture.
- 5Beat well.
- 6In another bowl, stir together flour and salt.
- 7Gradually add flour & salt to butter mixture, Blending thoroughly.
- 8With your hands, roll dough into balls about 1-inch diameter.
- 9Dip each ball in eggs whites, then roll in finely chopped walnuts to coat.
- 10Place on greased baking sheets,spacing 1 inch apart.
- 11With your thumb or the tip of a spoon (I use my thumb), make an indentation inthe center of each ball.
- 12Neatly fill each indentation with 1/4 teaspoon jelly or jam.
- 13(If using icing fill each cookie after baking.) Bake in a 375° oven for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 14Let cool on baking sheets for about 1 minute, then transfer to rack and let cool completely.
- 15This is when I fill each with icing.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thumbprint Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (992 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 110.6
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 20.4 mg
- Sodium 57.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 1.7 g