Recipe by Cameron's Mom
This a family favorite around Christams, well that's because that's the only time I make them, but they are good year round. Here is a tip for the finely chopped nuts, I use an ingredient called Pecan Meal. This is simply ground pecans. It saves you time and energy of chopping or food processing the nuts. I also have found through a survey of my family that strawberry jam and seedless raspberry jam are the best fillings.
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (Vegetable or Animal)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups ground pecans
- 1 cup strawberry jelly
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the brown sugar, shortening, butter and vanilla.
- Add egg yolks one at a time until fully incorporated.
- Sift flour and salt until combined.
- Add th dry ingredients to the creamed butter and sugar.
- Lightly whisk egg whites until slighly frothy.
- Form dough into 1 inch balls and put into the egg whites, then into the nuts.
- Place balls 1/2 inch apart on an ungreased sheet pan and make an indent with your thumb or spoon.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until LIGHTLY golden brown, if you take them past lightly golden the cookie will be dry.
- Cool for about 10 minutes on a wire rack, and then fill with jelly or jam.