Recipe by Bone Man
I developed this version of the now-famous salad specifically hoping that someone will adopt it for this year's Recipe*Zaar 2+5 Challenge. This is an upbeat Waldorf Salad that your family will ask you to make again.
Top Review by Ilysse
Very good. The dressing was great, I used dijon mustard in it and apple cider vinegar. I tossed the apple with the vinegar rather than lemon juice. I made and served all at once without time to sit. I left out the carrots and cauliflower and added arugala and mixed baby greens and used romane lettuce. I also added bacon so DH wouldn't complain about the lack of meat. I think prosciutto would also be good. I served this as a meal by itself and it was very good and filling. I thought maybe some cut up turkey or chicken would be good in it if someone wanted to make it more of a meal. I also thought it would go really well with grilled swiss cheese sandwiches. Very good, I will be making this again, probably never the same way twice. I loved the dressing and will probably be using it on other salads. Not only is it good by quick and easy with ingredients I always have on hand. Thanks so much for posting this great salad.
- 2 large red apples, unpeeled, cored and cut into 3/4-inch chunks (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup dark raisin
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1⁄2 cup red cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, peeled and cut on the bias into enlongated nickles
- 1⁄2 cup walnut halves (or pecans)
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce, roughly chopped
- 2⁄3 cup cauliflower floret, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, strained
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup miniature marshmallow (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄8 cup seasoned rice vinegar (or, cider vinegar)
- 1⁄3 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the dressing by whisking ingredients together. Refrigerate.
- Place the chopped apples in a large non-metallic mixing bowl and add the lemon juice. Toss lightly.
- Add all other ingredients (except dressing) and toss lightly.
- Add dressing and toss lightly for a final time.
- Refrigerate, covered, for one hour before serving.
- NOTE: Blanched pea pods, shocked in ice water can be substituted for the carrots if desired. Also, other types of lettuce may be used instead of iceberg.
- Also, servings (3) are based upon serving the salad as a light main dish.