Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I got this recipe from Quick Cooking magazine. DH loves it, and it is SO simple to put together from stuff I always have in the pantry.
- 78.07 ml water
- 59.14 ml tomato paste
- 44.37 ml brown sugar
- 14.79 ml prepared mustard
- 9.85 ml seasoning salt
- 9.85 ml cider vinegar
- 4.92 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml beef bouillon granules
- 907.18 g short rib of beef
- 1 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 14.79 ml cold water
- If you have time, brown the ribs in a little oil. If not, just throw them in the crockpot.
- Put all the rest of the ingredients except the cornstarch and 1 Tbsp cold water in the crockpot too.
- Mix just to combine and coat the ribs.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender.
- I have left it for as long as 8 hours and they came out fine. If you leave them in for a long time, just check to see if it needs any water now and then.
- Before serving, combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth.
- Gradually stir into cooking juices to make gravy.
- Cover and cook 10-15 more minutes until thickened.
Used boneless ribs, real good.
Superb! Very flavorful barbecue type sauce. I used boneless ribs, left out the tomato, subbed garlic salt (1 t was enough), and forgot the cornstarch. The meat was tender after 5 hours, but I think the longer the better.
I haven't made this specific recipe, but it is very similar to how I prepare my short ribs. The only changes are that I add some chipotles in adobo for spice and, while making the gravy, grill the ribs so that they get a nice crispy outer layer. Cooking them first in the crockpot makes them so tender, it's amazing.