Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Threw this together with what I had on hand, but on a whim added a can of pork and beans. I thought it tasted pretty good, and made corn meal muffins to have with it. I put some soup bones in the crock pot with some onion carrot and celery for the broth. Cooked on low over night and strained broth in the morning.
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1 stalk celery
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup green peas
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can pork and beans
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- Dice onion, carrot, celery, and cabbage.
- Add to broth along with barley.
- Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an hour or so.