Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 lb penne rigate
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 1 small zucchini
- 1⁄4 lb French haricots vert, stem ends trimmed (or regular green beans)
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh tarragon
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- coarse black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; salt the water, than add in the pasta; cook to al dente.
- Cut the asparagus spears on an angle into 2-inch pieces; cut the zucchini into matchsticks.
- Cut the haricots verts on an angle into 2-inch pieces.
- Add the vegetables to the pot with the pasta after the penne has been cooking for about 5 minutes; boil the veggies and pasta together for 2 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, toast the pine nuts in a small dry skillet until golden, then cool.
- Place the nuts, basil, tarragon, parsley, lemon zest, garlic, ½ cup of cheese and a little salt and pepper in a food processor.
- Turn the processor on and stream in the olive oil until a thick sauce forms.
- Scraped the pesto into a large shallow serving dish; add a ladle of hot, starchy pasta water into the pesto.
- Drain penne and veggies; then immediately add them to the pesto.
- Toss to coat the pasta and vegetables evenly.
- Season to taste w/ salt and pepper.
- Serve with extra grated cheese, if desired.