Cook1 hr 30 mins
This recipe uses regular, plum and sun-dried tomatoes plus zucchini, carrots and more. The red wine gives it a wonderful flavour and it's very versatile. Another favourite adapted from Topp and Howard.
- 10 plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 10 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped (about a 10-12 inch zucchini, no monster zucchini)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato (dry, not oil-pack)
- 2⁄3 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, celery, carrots, onion, zucchini and green pepper in a large pot. Add 3/4 cup water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes until sauce begins to thicken.
- Soak sun-dried tomatoes in boiling water until softened. Drain, chop, and add to sauce.
- Add wine, vinegar, bay leaves, salt, oregano, basil, sugar and peppers.
- Continue to boil gently until sauce is desired consistency. This may take up to an hour.
- Discard bay leaves and stir in parsley.
- Ladle sauce into hot sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch of top and seal.
- Process in a hot water bath 35 minutes for pints, 40 minutes for quarts.
- Yield will vary according to your ingredients.
- Use on pasta adding fresh herbs, grated cheese and/or additional vegetables. Add a protein such as beans, sausage or tofu for a complete meal. Stir into soups or stews. Add to casserole dishes. This sauce can be used in many ways.
- Time does not include processing time.