1 hr 30 mins
I was looking for vegetarian main dishes for Thanksgiving and found this one. I haven't made it yet but it looks delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small sugar pumpkin or 1 large butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 medium green peppers or 1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into short, narrow strips
- 14 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups canned pinto beans
- 2 cups corn kernels (from 2 large or 3 medium ears)
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup water
- 1 -2 small hot chili pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Cut the pumpkin or squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and fibers. Cover with aluminum foil and place the halves, cut side up, in a foil-lined shallow baking pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until easily pierced with a knife but still firm (if using squash, prepare the same way). When cool enough to handle, scoop out the pulp, and cut into large dice. Set aside until needed.
- 3Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
- 4Add the pumpkin and all the remaining ingredients except the last 2 and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently, covered, until all the vegetables are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5If time allows, let the stew stand for 1 to 2 hours before serving, then heat through as needed. Just before serving, stir in the cilantro. The stew should be thick and very moist but not soupy; add additional stock or water if needed. Serve in shallow bowls.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for "three Sisters" Stew
Serving Size: 1 (1287 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 380.7
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1754.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.6 g
- Sugars 26.7 g
- Protein 16.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: