Recipe by drhousespcatcher
Mizithra cheese is combined with the Three Sisters of Iroquois cooking-beans, corn, and squash. A good Parmesan or Romano cheese may be substituted. And that does not mean the powdered kind. Note a good soy cheese can also be used so I am going to include this in the Vegan option as well as the Vegetarian option. The recipe is listed under The Best of Veggie Life however, this is from my site and I have NO clue where I got it except to say I don't own and have never saw the book.
Top Review by sugarpea
I thought this was perfection even before adding the mizithra. I had a feeling this was going to be one of those love it or hate it recipes. We both loved it. We'll be doing this healthy and delicious combination again, philocrates.
- 1 small spaghetti squash (about 4 pounds)
- 2 cups cooked navy beans or 2 cups other small white beans
- 1 cup cooked corn
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup grated mizithra cheese (to make vegan) or 1⁄2 cup soy cheese (to make vegan)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°. Pierce squash a few times with a knife, wrap in foil, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. (When done, outer part of squash should be somewhat tender upon pressing.) Remove from oven and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine beans and corn and heat just until hot. (Or heat in microwave.).
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Remove flesh by scraping against inside of shell with a fork to form pasta-like strands. Place in serving dish. Add beans, corn, and bell pepper, and toss to combine.
- In a small saucepan, melt margarine. (Or melt in microwave.) Stir in olive oil, pour over squash, and toss. Sprinkle top with cheese, parsley, and basil.