Recipe by Calee
This makes a mild salsa which is my family's favorite! Every year I triple this recipe. When the three sisters make this they add 1 cup chopped cilantro. But I don't.
Top Review by lgautoworks
This was an excellent base recipe, my family loves it. I did add cumin and black pepper just to add a little more kick. Oh yeah we like it hot, so we left more seeds in the jalapeno's. I'm not sure why I canned it. We open a jar everyother day!
- 16 lbs ripe tomatoes
- 6 green peppers
- 4 red peppers
- 3 yellow peppers
- 3 large sweet banana peppers
- 12 jalapeno peppers (take seeds out of all but two of the jalapenos)
- 2 large onions (spanish or sweet)
- 2 large white onions
- 33 ounces tomato paste (6 cans 5.5oz each)
- 1 1⁄4 cups vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stainless steel bowl pour boiling water over tomatoes let sit for 3 minutes, drain, slip skins off and core and quarter.
- In small mixing bowl combine vinegar, brown sugar,salt,paprika and garlic, set aside.
- Coarsely chop all vegetables. When handling jalapeño peppers use gloves. In a large stainless steel pot add all ingredients except tomato paste.
- Boil on medium heat for 30 minutes, add tomato paste, stirring often to prevent sticking and boil for another 30 minutes. Process pints.