Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Mmmmmm! Although this is a delicious side dish...It's special enough to be the main event! This is wonderful, warm, comforting food.
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 1 lb celery root
- 1 lb parsnip
- 2 1⁄2 cups gruyere cheese, coarsely grated & divided
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350'. Grease a 3-quart casserole dish and set aside.
- Peel potatoes, celery root and parsnips. Slice as thinly as possible.
- Combine 2 cups cheese with the garlic, onion and horseradish, mixing with a fork.
- Layer root vegetables in the following way: half each of potatoes, celery root and parsnips followed by half of cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat with remaining celery root, parsnips and cheese mixture; season with salt and pepper and spread remaining potatoes over the top.
- Pour broth over potatoes.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup cheese and breadcrumbs; sprinkle on top.
- Drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake, covered, on center oven rack 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking 35 minutes or until the top is crisp and browned and the vegetables are tender.
- Let sit 10 minutes before serving.