Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Ontario Chicken Lover magazine.
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large cooking onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (hearts)
- non-fat cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup water
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Brown ground chicken in a non-stick skillet and set aside. Drain any fat.
- Spray a large non-stick Dutch oven or pot with cooking spray and heat to high. Saute onion 3 minutes. Add the red and green peppers, celery and garlic, continue to saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and heat 1 to 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Pour a little chicken broth (1/4 cup) or water into the pan to deglaze it.
- Mix the ground chicken with the vegetable mixture and add the tomatoes with their juice, beans and chii powder. Simmer uncovered until chili reaches your preferred consistency and then cover and continue cooking for 2 to 3 hours. Add the black pepper and adjust seasonings to taste.