Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
If you are looking for a wonderful rice side dish to serve for you guests, then this is it! A delicious blend of flavours, along with dried fruit makes this dish a winner. Add in some fresh garlic when you saute the onions if desired. Adjust all seasonings to taste.
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 3 cups good-quality chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 1⁄3 cup dried apricots or 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large saucepan, saute brown rice, carrots, onions, and mushrooms in 2 tablespoons oil (you can use a tablespoon more oil if desired) for 10 minutes, or until the brown rice is golden in colour.
- Add the wild rice, broth, thyme and rosemary; bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir in long-grain white rice, cover, and simmer for 25 mins, or until the liquid is absorbed, and the wild rice is tender.
- Remove from heat, stir in apricots or cranberries (or a combination of both), green onions, salt and pepper.
- Cover, and let stand for 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with pecans just before serving.
- *Note* you may add more broth or water, and simmer a little longer if needed.
Great & tasty rice. There's abit of a process from start to finish but worth the effort. Nice vegys & right proportions of ingredients. Only changes I made was that I soaked the cranberries in hot water before chopping & didn't add the nuts due to personal preference. Served with pork tenderloin w/mango chutney and complimented the flavours nicely, thanks for sharing.
At first bite I was disappointed because I thought this pilaf was bland. UNTIL - I added salt. Then BAM! - the flavors came out and it was delicious. Thanks for sharing.
This was very yummy. I did have to cook the rice mixture an additional 20 minutes till done. Made as posted. We enjoyed the added flavor of the cranberries. Thanks for posting. :) I served it with recipe #290743 for a very tasty dinner.