Prep 30 mins
Cook 23 mins
Gluten free, vegan and definitely different muffins! These are filled with chewy bursts of wild rice and dried cranberries, and naturally sweetened with maple syrup and honey. Adapted from "A Taste of Minnesota Blueberry Wild Rice Muffins" on vegweb
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Ener-G Egg Substitute
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup unsweetened soymilk
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan margarine
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar (if not vegan) or 2 tablespoons honey (if not vegan)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 large over-ripe banana, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup sweet rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow corn flour (not cornstarch!)
- 1⁄4 cup soy flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon guar gum
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch cardamom
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries, soaked in hot water and drained
- Preheat the oven to 425°F Grease 12 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg replacer, water, soy milk, margarine, oil, agave or honey, maple syrup and mashed banana.
- Stir in the flours, guar gum, baking powder, cardamom, nutmeg and salt.
- Fold in wild rice and cranberries.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes, until tops are lightly brown. Cool in the tins 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack.