Recipe by Nancygirl
This spicy cookie recipe came from Better Homes & Gardens. Black pepper & cayenne IN A COOKIE!? Oh yeah!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- medium-grind black pepper
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- With an electric mixer on medium beat butter.
- Add sugar, baking powder, ground chili, the 1/2 tsp finely ground pepper, ginger, clove, cinnamon, and cayenne.
- Beat until combined.
- Add egg and milk. Mix well.
- Beat in as much flour as possible, stir in remaining flour. If necessary knead dough to blend.
- Shape dough into a ball and divide in half. Shape each into a 6 1/2-inch long roll. Wrap in plastic and chill 4 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut rolls into 1/4-inch slices.
- Place 1-inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with medium ground pepper.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes until edges are golden.
- Melt chocolate and shortening in a small sauce pan on low. Dip slightly cooled cookies half way into chocolate, let set on waxed paper.