Recipe by Lvs2Cook
We love these appetizer quesadillas and serve them often at parties. The recipe came from a community cookbook called Simple Elegance and it is one of our favorties.
Top Review by Soobeeoz
I'm not quick at chopping so the prep time was considerably longer for me, but the result was well worth it. Changes I made were to use vegetarian Edam in place of the cheddar, jalapenos for the green chillies - or maybe they're one and the same? - I upped the cumin to 1 tsp and added 1/2 tsp of hot chilli powder to the vegetable mix along with some sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper. Instead of doubling the tortillas I placed another on top, sprayed it with light vegetable oil and sprinkled it with hot chilli powder before baking for around twelve minutes. I used light cream cheese and light sour cream. Thank you, Lvs2Cook, for a tasty and most satisfying recipe!
- 1 cup green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (18 ounce) packagehomestyle burrito-size flour tortillas
- cumin or chili powder, to taste
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute peppers and onions in margarine in a large skillet.
- Stir in cumin.
- Spoon out any liquid in the skillet.
- Set pepper mixture aside.
- In a small bowl, combine green chilies, cream cheese and cheddar cheese (the recipe may be made ahead up to this point).
- Assemble quesadillas as follows: spread about 3-4 tablespoons of cheese mixture on 1/2 of a flour tortilla.
- Top with sauteed peppers and onions.
- Fold over.
- Very lightly spread butter on the top of the folded tortilla and sprinkle with cumin or chili powder.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake in preheated 400º oven for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned.
- Cut into thirds or fourths.
- Mix sour cream and salsa together and serve as a dip with the cut quesadillas.