Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
We love these appetizer quesadillas and serve them often at parties. The recipe came from a community cookbook called Simple Elegance and it is one of our favorties.
- 1 cup green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (18 ounce) packagehomestyle burrito-size flour tortillas
- cumin or chili powder, to taste
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- Saute peppers and onions in margarine in a large skillet.
- Stir in cumin.
- Spoon out any liquid in the skillet.
- Set pepper mixture aside.
- In a small bowl, combine green chilies, cream cheese and cheddar cheese (the recipe may be made ahead up to this point).
- Assemble quesadillas as follows: spread about 3-4 tablespoons of cheese mixture on 1/2 of a flour tortilla.
- Top with sauteed peppers and onions.
- Fold over.
- Very lightly spread butter on the top of the folded tortilla and sprinkle with cumin or chili powder.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake in preheated 400º oven for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned.
- Cut into thirds or fourths.
- Mix sour cream and salsa together and serve as a dip with the cut quesadillas.
I'm not quick at chopping so the prep time was considerably longer for me, but the result was well worth it. Changes I made were to use vegetarian Edam in place of the cheddar, jalapenos for the green chillies - or maybe they're one and the same? - I upped the cumin to 1 tsp and added 1/2 tsp of hot chilli powder to the vegetable mix along with some sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper. Instead of doubling the tortillas I placed another on top, sprayed it with light vegetable oil and sprinkled it with hot chilli powder before baking for around twelve minutes. I used light cream cheese and light sour cream. Thank you, Lvs2Cook, for a tasty and most satisfying recipe!