A colorful pizza. A great way to use up summer produce. You can use a store bought pizza dough or make your own. From Williams-Sonoma with some minor changes to fit our taste.
- pizza dough, for one 12 inch pizza
- 1 -2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1⁄3 lb mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch think strips
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, but into 1/4 inch thick strips
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, but into 1/4 inch thick strips
- 1⁄4 lb Italian sausage, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Roll out the dough into a 12 inch round and lay the dough on top of a lightly greased pizza pan.
- Lightly brush the dough with the olive oil and spread the tomatoes evenly on top, leaving a 1/2 inch border.
- Lay the cheese slices evenly over the tomatoes.
- Scatter the bell peppers and sausage evenly over the cheese.
- Sprinkle with half of the oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 450 degrees F until the bottom of the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with remaining oregano.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then cut into slices and serve.