Recipe by ColoradoCookin'
A tasty fancier version of pesto pasta.
Top Review by Daniele1969
Made this the other evening and found it very easy to make. I added chicken to the peppers, but otherwise I followed the recipe. I used corkscrew noodles and the Pesto sauce was PHENOMENAL!!!! But I was a little confused. After I finished making everything, it seemed to me that the Pepper sauce could've been used on the noodles by itself. I mixed the pesto in with the noodles and then served the pepper sauce on the side. My husband and I really liked it (he's pesto fanatic). I think next time i will either make the pesto sauce OR the pepper sauce. Great recipe.
For three pepper sauce
- 1 large sweet red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large yellow pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or 2 tsp. prepack minced garlic)
- 1 cup drained and chopped canned italian-style plum tomato
For Pesto Sauce
- 12 ounces angel hair pasta
- 5 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, leaves only
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth, defatted
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside; keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, toast pine nuts on a cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes, do not over toast.
- Transfer pine nuts to a food processor.
- Spray an unheated large skillet with olive oil no stick spray - or use 1 teaspoons olive oil. Add the red, yellow and green peppers. Stir in the onions and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, add basil and garlic to blender or food processor. Blend until finely chopped. Slowly pour oil, then chicken broth in thin streams with the blender/processor running.
- Gradually add Parmesan cheese, a paste will form.
- Toss paste with pasta, divide amongst 4-6 plates.
- Top with pepper mixture.
- ((If you want to use as an entire meal add a cooked chicken breast cut into strips into the pepper mixture and cook with the peppers. Add a little extra olive oil and cook until the peppers and onions are tender.)).