Recipe by PaulaG
DH was out of town on a business trip and came home raving about this soup. This soup is a wonderful combination of sweet onions (Vidalia work well when in season.), red onions and yellow onions. I was able to find this recipe posted on another web page. Hope you enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 medium sweet onions, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 medium red onions, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups beef stock, unsalted
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken stock, unsalted
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices baguette, cut 1/2 inch thick and toasted
- 1 1⁄2 cups gouda cheese, coarsely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot, melt butter oven medium-low heat.
- Add all the onions along with 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- Saute until onions turn a nice golden brown or caramelize, about 25 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to prevent the onions from sticking to the pan.
- When onions are brown, add the flour and stir until it disappears.
- Turn heat to medium-high and add both stocks and the thyme.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat to low, cover and cook until soup is slightly thickened and is a medium-brown in color.
- This should take about 1-hour, taste and adjust seasonings as necessary for personal taste.
- Preheat the broiler and ladle soup into broiler-proof bowls.
- Place 1 slice of toast in each bowl and top with the cheese.
- Heat under the broiler about 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.