Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This delectable, vegetarian version of onion soup really warms the heart!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large yellow onions, diced
- 4 leeks, including 1 inch of the tender greens, well-washed and diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups good-quality vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups fruity red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 6 slices country bread
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and leeks, stirring occasionally until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir, sautéing for 1 minute.
- Add the stock and simmer for about 30 minutes, without a lid, until vegetables are very soft.
- Stir in wine, vinegars, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast the bread and place one slice in the bottom of each of 6 soup bowls.
- Ladle the soup into bowls.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over each serving and serve immediately.