1/1 Photo of Three Onion Soup
An American in Spain's Note:
This recipe was originally given to me by a French housewife on the Island of Crete in Greece many years ago. Over the years I have adapted/perfected it to fit my guests and my tastes. It is a hearty soup and can be used as a first course or a complete dinner on a cool fall or winter night.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 leeks, white part only,thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 cups beef broth or 8 cups chicken broth (or a combination)
- 8 slices French bread
- 6 ounces swiss cheese, grated divided
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
- 1Add oil to dutch oven and heat.
- 2Add onion, green onions and leeks and saute until translucent.
- 3Mix in flour to make a roux and saute until mixture just starts to turn golden.
- 4Add broth, wine (if used) and nutmeg.
- 5At this point taste the broth for flavor and seasoning. If the broth used does not meet your expectations, add a chicken or beef bullion cube or 1/2 teaspoon of chicken or beef base.
- 6Taste the broth again and make adjustments until you are satisfied with the intensity of flavor and the seasoning.
- 7Stir and simmer on low heat for 25 minutes
- 8Spoon into bowls that can be placed under the broiler, top with french bread and cheese.
- 9Place bowls in the broiler and broil until cheese melts and is bubbly.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Three Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (466 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.0
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 1014.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 14.8 g