Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
The cutest, delicate mice you ever saw! Everyone remarks about them. I give trays of assorted cookies each year and place them on top. They just make it! It actually is a help when the kids can put on the almonds. I don't remember where I got the recipe, so I gave the best measurements I can recall. It sounds like it could be a Hershey's recipe!? For adults you can strain the cherries, then add rum or almond liquor and soak overnight drain and dry proceed with recipe. Save the rum for drinks.
- 453.59 g jar maraschino cherries, drained dried on paper towel
- 283.49 g bag miniature chocolate chips (optional for the eyes)
- 340.19 g package semisweet chocolate
- 56.69 g paraffin wax
- 283.49 g bag sliced almonds
- 141.74 g white icing
- 453.59 g bag Hershey chocolate kisses
- Melt chocolate and paraffin double boiler.
- Dip whole cherry holding tail, set on waxed paper.
- Attach one kiss to opposite end of tail, it`ll be the head.
- Make sure the tail lies along the waxed paper.
- Don`t forget it`s to be a mouse.
- Then put almonds for ears between chocolate kiss and cherries.
- Tube tiny eyes above the nose then apply mini kisses over icing.
I just made these this past weekend for my daughter Halloween party at school this week. I put them in an air tight container and then in the freezer (no problems yet). I use rosted pumpkin seeds for the ears instead of almonds so I wouldn't have to worry about nut allergies.
These mice are adorable! It took me an hour to make them. After awhile, I started dipping about 6 cherries, then did the ears all at once, instead of doing one cherry at a time. I used a sandwich bag, cut a corner out, and inserted the decorator cap, then put in icing (I just mixed up some butter, 10X sugar, vanilla, and some milk), and made the eyes. Whoever thought these up was genius! They look so cute on my cookie trays!
I make these same mice for Christmas every year, but I make my own marzipan, and wrap the drained cherries in them before dipping. It's a little more work, but everyone loves them, and asked me way ahead of time if they will be getting them this year. I also use the cordial cherry flavored kisses for the head. I use the gel icing that comes in a tube to give mine a red nose and eyes. Last year, I found hersey's white chocolate kisses with chocolate cookie crumbs, and used them to make white mice which were a big hit. The cookie crumbs give the mice freckles ! I make quite a few of these, so I buy big jars of cherries from Sam's club. The 32 oz. jars come in handy too for holding chocolate chips or coconut or other baking goods that come in paper bags.