Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
From the Recipe Lady's vegetarian recipe blog.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup minced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄3 cup grated romano cheese
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 ounces portabella mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped (if using dried shiitake, reconstitute in water before chopping and using in recipe)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Separate eggs. Place whites in a large bowl and allow to come to room temperature. Place yolks in a bowl and set aside.
- In a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat melt butter, and cook onions and all the spices. Cook until onions tender. Add chopped mushrooms and cook until tender and condensed and thickened. Add the romano cheese. Remove from the heat and stir in the egg yolks one at a time. Set aside. (Do not return to the heat after egg yolks have been added.).
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Hint: just until they will peak. Add 1/3 of the egg whites to the hot mixture in the saucepan and stir together. (This lightens the sauce so it well fold into egg whites easier.) Add the lightened sauce to the egg whites and fold until mixed.
- Spray individual 4 inch diameter souffle dishes with non-stick coating. Fill each souffle dish to within 1/8 inch of top. Place in the rack in center of the oven and bake 25-30 minutes. Serve immediately. (Souffles will not hold there height and must be served immediately.).