Recipe by Mysterygirl
This is a Mexican or even Tex-Mex favorite dessert. The recipe was printed in a Houston newspaper and came from a popular local restaurant. To make this a little easier and quicker - substitute whipped cream for the meringue..it's still very tasty.
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 4 eggs, separated
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml milk
- fresh strawberries, for garnish (optional)
- mint leaf, for garnish (optional)
- 340.19 g can evaporated milk
- 396.89 g can sweetened condensed milk
- 473.18 ml milk
- 453.59 g carton sour cream
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml water, heated
- 3 egg whites
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan.
- Sift flour with baking powder.
- In large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add sugar gradually, beating to form stiff peaks.
- Add yolks, 1 at a time.
- Slowly add flour and milk.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until edges are golden brown, about 40 to 45 minutes, Remove from oven and let cool on a rack.
- Prepare Topping.
- Pour Topping over cake and let sit until all the mixture is absorbed, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Prepare Meringue and refrigerate.
- Before serving, cut cake into squares and spread Meringue over each.
- Garnish as desired with fresh berries and mint leaves.
- Topping-------------------------H‘ .
- Combine milks and sour cream (do not beat).
- Use as directed.
- Heat water in a saucepan. Add sugar and turn off heat.
- Let sit until sugar is dissolved.
- In clean electric mixer bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites.
- Slowly pour sugar syrup over egg whites, beating constantly until meringue holds stiff peaks.
- Store in refrigerator.
- This can be served immediately but is best made 24 hours ahead and chilled.
- The meringue will keep, covered, 2 days in the refrigerator.