Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a Mexican or even Tex-Mex favorite dessert. The recipe was printed in a Houston newspaper and came from a popular local restaurant. To make this a little easier and quicker - substitute whipped cream for the meringue..it's still very tasty.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- fresh strawberries, for garnish (optional)
- mint leaf, for garnish (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (16 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water, heated
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan.
- Sift flour with baking powder.
- In large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add sugar gradually, beating to form stiff peaks.
- Add yolks, 1 at a time.
- Slowly add flour and milk.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until edges are golden brown, about 40 to 45 minutes, Remove from oven and let cool on a rack.
- Prepare Topping.
- Pour Topping over cake and let sit until all the mixture is absorbed, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Prepare Meringue and refrigerate.
- Before serving, cut cake into squares and spread Meringue over each.
- Garnish as desired with fresh berries and mint leaves.
- Topping-------------------------H‘ .
- Combine milks and sour cream (do not beat).
- Use as directed.
- Heat water in a saucepan. Add sugar and turn off heat.
- Let sit until sugar is dissolved.
- In clean electric mixer bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites.
- Slowly pour sugar syrup over egg whites, beating constantly until meringue holds stiff peaks.
- Store in refrigerator.
- This can be served immediately but is best made 24 hours ahead and chilled.
- The meringue will keep, covered, 2 days in the refrigerator.
In a word, excellent. I used heavy cream in the topping rather than sour cream. This is really a delicious cake.
This is very good! My problem was with the meringue;I made it the night befor & next morning it was liquid;made another batch & the same thing happened, but I will make it again and serve it with whipped cream
This is one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten! I made a few changes; I substituted cream for milk and omitted the sour cream. I didn't add the entire milk mixture and the cake was still incredibly moist. Thanks so much for posting this was a fabulouse recipe!