1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is a Mexican or even Tex-Mex favorite dessert. The recipe was printed in a Houston newspaper and came from a popular local restaurant. To make this a little easier and quicker - substitute whipped cream for the meringue..it's still very tasty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- fresh strawberries, for garnish (optional)
- mint leaf, for garnish (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (16 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease and flour a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan.
- 3Sift flour with baking powder.
- 4In large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until frothy.
- 5Add sugar gradually, beating to form stiff peaks.
- 6Add yolks, 1 at a time.
- 7Slowly add flour and milk.
- 8Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until edges are golden brown, about 40 to 45 minutes, Remove from oven and let cool on a rack.
- 9Prepare Topping.
- 10Pour Topping over cake and let sit until all the mixture is absorbed, 20 to 30 minutes.
- 11Prepare Meringue and refrigerate.
- 12Before serving, cut cake into squares and spread Meringue over each.
- 13Garnish as desired with fresh berries and mint leaves.
- 14Topping-------------------------H‘ .
- 15Combine milks and sour cream (do not beat).
- 16Use as directed.
- 17Heat water in a saucepan. Add sugar and turn off heat.
- 18Let sit until sugar is dissolved.
- 19In clean electric mixer bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites.
- 20Slowly pour sugar syrup over egg whites, beating constantly until meringue holds stiff peaks.
- 21Store in refrigerator.
- 22This can be served immediately but is best made 24 hours ahead and chilled.
- 23The meringue will keep, covered, 2 days in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Three-Milk Cake (Pastel De Tres Leches)
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 500.4
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 109.3 mg
- Sodium 258.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 61.1 g
- Protein 11.6 g