Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These meatballs taste great and are relatively low fat. This recipe also makes great hamburgers. I usually buy a pound of each type of meat, divide by threes and have dinners for half the week already made up, ready to throw in the oven. If you make hamburgers be aware that buffalo meat takes longer to cook than plain beef so you need to cook them about half an hour.
- 1⁄3 lb ground buffalo meat
- 1⁄3 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄3 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (diced)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning mix
- 2⁄3 cup mozzarella cheese, cubed (fresh mozzarella is espeically good but part skim helps keep the fat down and works well)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine all ingredient except for the cheese, mixing well.
- Adjust the amount of egg beaters and bread crumbs if nessecary to give a good consistency.
- Meet should hold together well but not be too sticky.
- Take enough meat in your hand to fill your palm, then flatten it out a bit.
- Put a cheese cube in the center of the meat, then close the edges around it.
- Roll into a good sphere and put on a baking pan.
- Repeat it until you've used all the meat.
- Bake for twenty minutes.
- Some cheese may leak from the centers, don't worry about it.
- If you want to save the meatballs for another day, let them cool then put them in the fridge (or freezer).
- To reheat simmer in enough tomato sauce to cover your meatballs.
- If you're eating them tonight, go ahead and add them to your sauce now.
- You can serve them over pasta or on a roll.