Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is just a variation of my own lasagna recipe. I say variation because I make it differently every time depending on what I have on hand and my mood. This is the first time I've written my lasagna recipe down. Although I have made literally thousands of pans of lasagna throughout my years (I worked as a cook), I find this one perfectly acceptable (and I consider myself a lasagna snob). So you should certainly enjoy this, if not make it the only lasagna recipe you make from now on.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 12 pieces uncooked lasagna noodles
- 2 (15 ounce) containers ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (for ricotta)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 16 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces thinly sliced pepperoni
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (to garnish)
- Cook onion in olive oil in a large skillet until tender, several minutes.
- Add garlic, ground beef, italian sausage, basil, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper to pan and cook until meat is thoroughly browned and breaking up lumps as it cooks.
- Drain fat.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, and brown sugar to pan, mixing well.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles in plenty of boiling salted water for ten minutes, then drain.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, eggs, parmesan, salt, pepper, and parsley until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large lasagna baking pan, place 1/3-1/2 of meat sauce in bottom of pan (just enough to cover).
- On top of the meat sauce in pan, layer the lasagna as follows: 4 noodles (to cover pan), 8 ounces shredded mozzarella, 4 ounces sliced pepperoni, 4 more noodles, ricotta cheese mixture, 4 more noodles, remaining meat sauce mixture, 8 ounces mozzarella, 4 ounces of pepperoni, and 1/4 cup parmesan.
- If any corners of noodles try to stick up past the sauce in the pan, tuck them under the sauce.
- Bake at 375F for 30-40 minutes or until heated through and cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.
This was so easy and the taste was AWESOME! I am very pleased with the outcome of this recipe. I am a Louisiana girl so I add a shake or two of Tony Cachere and hmm hmm "C'est si bon". This is a keeper.
This is a great recipe! Followed it exactly but substituted the meats ( because a few of our family members do not eat beef or pork) I used ground turkey, Italian chicken sausage and turkey pepperoni. The flavors blended perfectly and the sauce was just right! I made it a second time and froze it for a later dinner. Defrosted it, baked it and added bread and a salad. Made a fantastic easy weeknight meal. Thanks for sharing!!
This was excellent and easy to make. The only change we did was omitting the pepperoni since we didn't have that and we used whole wheat noodles. I calculated the revised calories without the pepperoni, and it came to about approx. 670 calories per serving, which is 1/9 of the pan (this is a HUGE slice). Both my husband and 2-year old daughter loved this! Will definitely make this again! Thank you for sharing.