Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This recipe came from a friend, who got it after being the camp cook of a pioneer reinactment weekend field trip for her daughters sixth grade class. She made our family a meal during a crisis period and this scrumptious bread accompanied it!
- 1 tablespoon fast rise yeast
- 2 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk, warmed
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups white flour (or more)
- Disolve in a bowl; yeast in water Add and mix in oil and sugar.
- Let rest 10 minute.
- stir in milk.
- mix ww flour and salt together.
- slowly beat in ww flour to yeast mixture one cup at a time, beating till smooth. Beat in about one cup of the white flour or enough until it clumps together.
- Turn onto board and knead till smooth adding remaining flour, up to 3 more cups, until its not sticky.
- Cover and let rise until double.
- Divide into three loaves.
- Rise another 1/2- 1 hours.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minute.
- Dough may also be used for pizza crust, cinnamon rolls, and dinner rolls.
- If you want to freeze dough, do so before second rising and then when ready to use, thaw and rise.
This was a great recipe-a little time consuming even for me but very very delicious. Thank you. Margie