Recipe by Marie
This fabulous cake starts with a cake mix and has fresh strawberries, coconut and pecans it it. The strawberry cream cheese frosting really sets it off. From Allrecipes.
Top Review by MelindaD
This is my hubby's hands down favorite cake! I have promised to make it every year for his birthday, but he can't wait that long so looks like it is a father's day cake as well. Super delicious cake with tons of flavor that never disappoints. Thanks!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1 cup mashed fresh strawberries
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesoftened cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter
- 3 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 3⁄4 cup fresh strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease and flour 3 (9") round cake pans.
- Stir together cake mix and jello mix in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and pour in 1 cup mashed strawberries, oil, milk and eggs.
- Beat on low speed until blended.
- Scrape bowl and beat for 4 minutes on medium speed.
- Fold in the coconut and pecans.
- Divide the batter among the prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- For frosting, mash the 3/4 cup strawberries to make 1/2 cup, then drain well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth, then blend in powdered sugar and drained strawberries.
- Beat on medium speed until frosting lightens and is well combined.
- Fold in the coconut.
- Frost between layers and on top and sides.
- Chill uncovered for 30 minutes or until frosting sets, then cover and chill for 4 hours before serving.