Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This fabulous cake starts with a cake mix and has fresh strawberries, coconut and pecans it it. The strawberry cream cheese frosting really sets it off. From Allrecipes.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1 cup mashed fresh strawberries
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesoftened cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter
- 3 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 3⁄4 cup fresh strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease and flour 3 (9") round cake pans.
- Stir together cake mix and jello mix in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and pour in 1 cup mashed strawberries, oil, milk and eggs.
- Beat on low speed until blended.
- Scrape bowl and beat for 4 minutes on medium speed.
- Fold in the coconut and pecans.
- Divide the batter among the prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- For frosting, mash the 3/4 cup strawberries to make 1/2 cup, then drain well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth, then blend in powdered sugar and drained strawberries.
- Beat on medium speed until frosting lightens and is well combined.
- Fold in the coconut.
- Frost between layers and on top and sides.
- Chill uncovered for 30 minutes or until frosting sets, then cover and chill for 4 hours before serving.