Recipe by Whisper
This is a nice casserole to take to a pot luck dinner. It's easy and inexpensive to make. I prefer to use fresh spinach. It can be made ahead and frozen for those nights you don't want to fuss after working all day. Serve with bread and you have your entire meal. Prep time includes time to saute meat and onion.
Top Review by DPar
I used low fat turkey italian sausage and 1% cottage cheese for this which reduced the calories but not the taste. This was very good and we will be making this again. My DH needs to gain weight so we put his on top of noodles. I found that it was a little runny however after cooling it set up very nice much like lasagna.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup onion, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained or 1 (4 ounce) canequivalent fresh mushrooms
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 6 ounces cottage cheese
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute meat and onion until onion is transparent.
- Add tomato sauce, spices and mushrooms.
- Squeeze liquid from thawed spinach and combine with cottage cheese.
- In 7x11 inch baking dish, arrange in layers 1/2 of each, spinach mixture, meat mixture and then Mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat, ending with cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees until bubbly, about 30-40 minutes.