Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a nice casserole to take to a pot luck dinner. It's easy and inexpensive to make. I prefer to use fresh spinach. It can be made ahead and frozen for those nights you don't want to fuss after working all day. Serve with bread and you have your entire meal. Prep time includes time to saute meat and onion.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup onion, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained or 1 (4 ounce) canequivalent fresh mushrooms
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 6 ounces cottage cheese
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese
- Saute meat and onion until onion is transparent.
- Add tomato sauce, spices and mushrooms.
- Squeeze liquid from thawed spinach and combine with cottage cheese.
- In 7x11 inch baking dish, arrange in layers 1/2 of each, spinach mixture, meat mixture and then Mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat, ending with cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees until bubbly, about 30-40 minutes.
I used low fat turkey italian sausage and 1% cottage cheese for this which reduced the calories but not the taste. This was very good and we will be making this again. My DH needs to gain weight so we put his on top of noodles. I found that it was a little runny however after cooling it set up very nice much like lasagna.
Great recipe for ingredients that I often have on hand. Yummy and adaptable.
I only just liked it but my fiance really liked it. Next time, I will add more seasoning and maybe try ricotta cheese & an egg instead of the cottage cheese. Mine didn't turn out watery at all. I used frozen spinach and canned mushrooms. I did find that using a 7x11 pan was too big had to use all the spinach mixture on the bottom and then just layered meat mixture and cheese on top. I got 6 servings from the recipe...but we aren't big eaters.