Recipe by Pa. Hiker
This is a traditional bread served on Christmas day in the Sub-Carpathian region. The recipe calls for three different raisins, though any three dried fruits would do. The intent is to visually see the three "Kings."
- 7⁄8 lb butter (not margarine)
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins (1/2 cup each red, white, black)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter.
- Add sugar and beat until sugar is disolved.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Sift flour and baking powder.
- Gradually add flour and raisins (alternately), stirring well after each addition.
- Beat egg whites then fold into dough.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350F for 45 minutes.