Recipe by Cait's Mom
This came from the Nicholas Sparks "True Believer" novel. In the novel, Lexie made her grandmother Doris' Italian recipe for Jeremy. Jeremy loved it and so did my own husband. And, this is so easy.
Top Review by Jezski
Just a comment. This did not work for me with fresh tomatoes. Marcella Hazan's similar recipe with canned tomatoes does work very well and we like it a lot. Don't know why it should be different unless it's because canned tomatos are much thicker and have a stronger flavor. This recipe is identical to True Believer Tomato Sauce.
- 2 (28 ounce) cans san marzano tomatoes
- 2 large onions
- 8 ounces butter
- fresh-grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour both large cans of tomatoes into the pot.
- Add the whole stick of butter.
- Skin both onions, cut off the ends, and cut in half and put in the pot.
- Stir with a long wooden spoon, bring to a boil, then set the heat on low and leave on for 1 1/2 hours.
- Pour over your favorite pasta and top with fresh-grated Parmesan cheese.